My (Short) Review: The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass


Let me start off by saying I need to find some books that are less than five-star amazingness, because you guys are going to start to think I’m a softie that gives everything five stars. I’m not. I promise.

But guys, The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass deserves those five stars.

I’ll admit that I caved into buying this one because it was one of those books I suspected I should read and never really got around to picking up, but now Borders is going out of business and I figured well, what better time than now? So I bought it. And I read the first chapter. And I had a serious facepalm Why-did-I-wait-so-absurdly-long-to-read-this-book?-moment.

So without further ado, this is the Goodreads summary:

“How do widely published authors keep their stories burning hot? Learn how to supercharge every story with deep conviction and, conversely, turn fiery passion into effective story. The Fire in the Fiction shows you not only how to write compelling stories filled with interesting settings and vivid characters, but how to do it over and over again. With examples drawn from current novels, this inspiring guide shows you how to infuse your writing with life.”

I mean it when I say my only regret was not reading The Fire in Fiction sooner. The advice is fantastic and the exercises at the end of the chapter are more useful than I can even describe. I haven’t done all of them yet, but I definitely will.

So if you’re looking for a good writing book, I highly recommend this one. It covers everything from deepening characters (yes, even your moustache-twirling antagonist) to writing interesting description to weaving tension throughout your prose. It’s a fantastic read, and one I intend to go through again with a highlighter or two.

So there you are, another book on craft to add to your TBR pile. What are some of your favorite writing books? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...